Rehabilitation work has begun on the mothballed Cobbora coal mining project near Dunedoo.
The NSW Environment Protection Authority (EPA) has confirmed that Cobbora Holding Company has completed the first stage of work required by the clean-up notice issued on 12 October, 2015.
The notice related to waste that had been stockpiled from demolition of buildings on the proposed mine site.
EPA acting head of far-west operations, Brad Tanswell, said the first stage required Cobbora to engage qualified waste experts to classify the waste stockpiles and develop a waste transport schedule.
The company was also required to provide a copy of the schedule to all councils through which the waste will travel.
“This first stage is important as it ensures Cobbora, the EPA and affected councils know exactly the composition and quantity of the waste in the stockpiles and when it will be transported and disposed of,” Mr Tanswell said.
“This means the waste can be tracked as it is transported and appropriately disposed of in a lawful manner.
“The EPA is satisfied with Cobbora’s compliance with the clean-up notice so far and has provided approval for Cobbora to begin clean-up works which commenced on Monday, 7 December.”
Full remediation of the affected sites and works to validate the success of clean-up works are expected to be complete by mid-2016.
The site of the abandoned Cobbora Coal Mine, located south-west of Dunedoo, will be cleaned up and sold for agricultural use.